Monday 10 November 2008

Assertions from a formerly alleged twisted mind


I am not a feminist.

I am a human rights activist though recognizing the autonomy of women and emphasizing their equality with men.

I can say I am practically and certainly tolerant to LGBTIQ (Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Transgendered, Intersex and Queer) persons - I am actually sharing a room with a bisexual I haven't known before.

I look down at politicization of sexuality and bodily rights.

I look down at man-made religions interfering with the most private and intimate of bodily freedoms.

I loathe the way you all call crimes of shame "crimes of honor"!!! Re-think your use of the honor word people!

I loathe the framing of virginity as a political and social control tool.

I cannot tolerate the way feminists force themselves - and other people around them - to find ugly features of women so pretty and so wanted so as not to commodify women bodies! Women can be pretty, slim, sexy and activists too for fuck sake!

Background (and I insisted on keeping it till the end): I was in Malaysia in August. I applied to an Institute on Sexuality and bodily integrity in Muslim Societies. I got accepted along with twenty four other participants from the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia regions. Throughout these couple of days' contacts with persons from different cultures, backgrounds, religions and sexual orientations, I have come to realize the above stated about my own being.

Whoever said that by learning about "the other" we come to understand ourselves … I tell you, you own it man! Totally true.

I will be working on continuing this list ... or not. It depends.

No comments: